TBC Improv About - Workshops
As part of our commitment to share the skills and wonder of improvised comedy performance, TBC Improv run and help organise improv classes throughout the year. These classes range from our core curriculum run in Edinburgh, one-off classes taught by invited teachers, and classes brought to various places.
TBC Improv Workshops runs the Core Program - a series of improv courses at various levels to teach students strong core improvisational skills, as well as building upon already developed skills. All students begin with Introduction to Improv (101) before choosing a Course Path (CP) they wish to study (one, two or all for those looking to get the most!).
Improv Techniques (CP 01)
For those looking to learn the skills and techniques of improvisation to be become more comfortable in situations where we don’t know what will happen next. This course path is also ideal for performers (improvisational or otherwise) to work on their core toolkit.
- Introduction to Improv (101) *Note - all students are required to start with this class*
- Intermediate Improv (201)
- Advanced Improv (301) (details coming soon)
Short-Form Improv (CP 02)
For those looking for a more practical course path and wishing to study the short-form games based style of improv found on Whose Line is it Anyway?. The course path covers various different types of short-form game, how to put on a show, and other general skills necessary to host and run short-form based shows.
- Introduction to Short-Form Improv (102)
- Intermediate Short-Form Improv (202) (details coming soon)
- Advanced Short-Form Improv (302) (details coming soon)
Long-Form Improv (CP 03)
For those looking for a more practical course path and wishing to study the long-form performance style of improv, creating full shows based on single-word (or minimal) suggestions. The course path covers various different types of long-form performance, skills for scene- work without audience input, various skills for editing/supporting scenes, and other general skills necessary to host and run long-form based shows.
- Introduction to Long-Form Improv (103)
- Intermediate Long-Form Improv (203)
- Advanced Long-Form Improv (303) (details coming soon)
As well as our Core Program, TBC Improv Workshops also offer additional improv classes, including:
- Drop-in Improv Workshop - one-off classes focusing on a particular technique or concept
- Invited Teacher Workshops - one-off classes from outside teachers, sharing thi on a particular technique or concept
- Corporate Workshops - bespoked workshops for companies
- Schools Workshops - bespoked workshops for schools and school-aged children